Wednesday, September 13, 2006

A Tale of Two Baby Sweaters

My Mother-in-Law knit newborn baby sweaters for all her grandchildren as well as her children and friends and children of friends, etc. It's a tradition that if you get married you get a cross-stitch sampler and if you have a baby you get a Joyce sweater. I have 3 baby blue sweaters with matching hats that she made for each of my boys. They all wore them home from the hospital. I lived in NY when all 3 boys were born. With the first son, the in-laws were at the hospital as soon as they could be after his birth which was probably within the hour. Since I didn't know if the baby would be a boy or girl before birth she made a pink sweater and hat and a blue sweater and hat. She brought the blue sweater. When I had my second son, again I didn't know if the baby would be a boy or girl. He was due early September and my in-laws always travel the last 2 weeks of August. Before they left for vacation, she left me with a blue sweater set and a pink sweater set just in case the baby came early as my first child was 3 weeks early. Well, Michael showed his little self on August 21st, while the inlaws were gone. When they returned from vacation, I tried to give the pink sweater set back to my MIL for a future girl child. She told me to keep it in case I eventually had a girl. With my third son, I knew early on he was going to be a boy. MIL still wanted me to keep the sweater because I could still have a girl someday. I always wanted a girl but it was not meant to be. So, MIL told me to keep the sweater and hat for my future granddaughter (I was 32 at the birth of my last child). Flash forward 12 years from the original date the pink sweater set was given to me. My brother and his wife that have been trying for 13 years to have a baby find out they are pregnant and the pregnancy goes full term. However, my sis in law and brother want to be surprised so my MIL pulls out her blue baby yarn and knits a blue sweater and hat because I am so darn excited about the baby that I want to give them the pink sweater set I've had for 12 years if the baby is a girl. So Melissa is born on 9/1/06. My in-laws are on their way home from the Carolina shore - the yearly trip - and I track her down by cell phone to tell her I am on my way to Houston with a pink sweater set in the back of my suburban. We both cried. She gets to at least see a picture of the baby girl to wear her creation. It is really awesome because my MIL is very ill, in fact, she has been in ICU for a week. She has been in the hospital so much this year. My husband is flying up to NY this weekend to visit her. I will see her in October. So guess what? I have another blue sweater set. She told me to save it for my future grandson. Sheesh! I told my brother and sis in law they need to have a baby boy now! So here is the 12 year old pink sweater set. The blue sweater set was made this summer. I have saved everything my MIL has knit, sewn, quilted or cross-stitched for us and I appreciate it so much. I took these photos because with the tons and tons of gifts she has made for so many people for so many years, she has never photographed any of it. She asked for these photos since I photograph everything I make and scrapbook it. I have a knitting scrapbook. Anyway, I can't wait to get a picture of Melissa in the pink sweater set. My sister in law absolutely loves the sweater and hat. Who wouldn't? It's hand knitted!


8 Comments:

Blogger JustApril said...

It's SO precious - the both are, but the pink one! omg so sweet. I'm glad your MIL will get to see the sweater on a baby girl.

10:29 PM  
Blogger amylovie said...

Sweet story Stephanie. Little Melissa will look gorgeous in it. We must have pictures!!

Amy

8:52 AM  
Blogger Mary-Kay said...

Oh my gosh!!! Awesome blog! Thanks for stopping by mine.... I've saved yours in my blogroll. Off to read some more!

10:51 AM  
Blogger amylovie said...

My mom, the girls, and I went to Boerne last year. It was very small, but we had a great time.

I'm off that weekend. Maybe we can squeeze in another trip.

Amy

1:49 PM  
Blogger eyeknit4u said...

Stephanie when i saw your name in Ellen's blog i thought you were the yarn harlot.. hee..hee.. she has issues with the laundry doesn't she.. haha.. but now that Mr. Washie is back up and running i think she is coping.. haha.. :-) great to read your blurb in Ellen's blog :-) karola

8:25 AM  
Blogger Jeanie said...

What a wonderful story Stephanie... And what a blessing to have such an amazing MIL. Of course, she too is blessed to have you as a DIL. I pray that her health improves soon so that she can knit many more sweater sets.

9:29 PM  
Blogger knit only but also said...

How stunningly beautiful those knitted sets are - baby Melissa is lucky to have something so pretty and with such a lovely story behind it (made me go all snuffly). You are so lucky to have such a spcial MIL (but she is probably equally lucky!)

1:34 PM  
Blogger Cherice said...

You must post pictures of little Melissa in her pink sweater. Your MIL sounds like a neat person. I hope that she's feeling better soon. (My baby girl was a surprise, both the pregnancy and the fact that she was a she....)

9:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home