Sunday, September 25, 2005

What I Get For Helping

It was about 5 in the evening tonight and my husband still had not gotten around to doing the yard. And it wasn't just mowing the grass, we needed to trim the hedges, edge and all that other stuff. He was planning on doing it all along, but well the near 100 degrees was kind of making him not want to. He's sure Fall is coming. I love that he is so optimistic. So, I put down my knitting (nice huh) and said let me help you. The reason this is a big deal - not putting my knitting down, but doing yard work - is because I don't do yard work. I grew up with an older brother and my Dad had him do yard work and I did house work. That's just the way it was. So I don't have a whole lot of experience. In fact, it has been said yards look nicer when I don't work in them. Some people are just mean you know! So I tell my husband I'll do the hedges. He is nice and he is concerned about me being in the heat. I said I don't mind sweating so let's go. I throw on my running clothes because I don't mind sweating in those. Well, an hour and half or two later and sore sore arms, I had to call it quits. I raked and swept up all my trash and put it in the appropriate bags and so forth. Then sweet husband and I get in a discussion about our son's earlier behavior. Father and son had been arguing about some dumb stuff. I had not been listening but my son was trying to blame my other 2 boys for why the world is in its current state of mess. Well, that's how it seems on a day to day basis here with 3 boys that always blame one another. So that gets my husband remembering a day a few year's ago - think it was Mother's Day - that we had front row tickets to see Bill Cosby. Note to anyone paying attention - don't sit front center at a Bill Cosby show. Bill Cosby has a little act where he tells why having more than one child is difficult because you never know who really did it - whatever it is - because they always blame the other one. Then husband starts to tell me how Bill Cosby is one of his top 5 favorite people, along with Bono, a minister friend of ours, and 2 others I can't remember right now. I thought that was a rather eclectic group of people. Then it hits me, back to the concert, Bill Cosby tore me up one side and down the other in front of a sold out show. He also was rough on my mother, as well. My husband still takes great pleasure in this. And I wanted to help him with the yard! That will teach me! He actually bowed his head and had a moment of silence. So, if you do see Bill Cosby in concert and you do sit front row center, if you agree with him or disagree it's all entertainment for everybody ELSE in the audience! Okay I'm fine now, really. So, I got the front of my sweater finished last night. I then attached the front and back and picked up the appropriate stitches and knitted the collar. Now, I am working on one of the sleeves. Had I just shrugged my shoulders at the yard work, I could probably be finished with at least one sleeve. Oh well, tomorrow is another day!

2 Comments:

Blogger amylovie said...

I don't do yard work for the same reasons.

I wonder if two girls will blame each other for the worlds problems. Bet so.

2:16 AM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Men! Jeeze. The good thing is that since you helped with the yard work you can get out of something else later (that's how it works at my house). More knitting time down the road. :-)

2:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home