Tuesday, September 13, 2005

What Does My Yarn Say About Me?

I've been reading several blogs regarding being a yarn snob or not. It got me to thinking if I might be a yarn snob - not that there's anything wrong with that. I am currently working on a triangle shawl with yarn purchased in Victoria, B.C. I hiked it upstairs to my craft room to get the label and see what it actually is and here goes: pattern: Goldielocks Shawl, Design: Fleece Artist, Fibre: Goldielocks 56% kids, 24% silk, 20% nylon. The colors are berry tones. The other yarn I bought in Victoria is Ironstone Yarn's "Pizzazz". The content is three yarns: Felicia, Eyelash and Paris Nights. Another souvenior yarn from New York is Fiesta Yarns' La Boheme. Color is Taos. This is a 2-stranded yarn (a) 64% Brushed Kid Mohair, 28% Wool, 8% Nylon and (b) 100% Rayon Boucle. I bought 3 skeins of this beauty and screwed one of them up all by myself. I didn't read the directions before balling it up, therefore, the 2 strands are not even. Let's just not talk about it because it upsets me. The other 2 I took to my LYS and she put it on the winder thingamajig and they are perfect. I want one of those by the way. I have a few skeins I need to ball up. Regarding my knitting skills, I do okay but there is so much lingo going on here in knitting blogland that I do not understand. Y'all have shown me some fun sites I didn't know existed and when I get some of the projects started and finished I plan on buying some stuff! I'm sort of on self imposed "no yarn buying". I've only bought through yarn stores to date. And so many of y'all are designers! I'm not there at all! My last big project was a hooded sweater from Artful Yarns. I haven't been able to wear it yet but Fall is coming! My next project other than the above mentioned yarns are a vest I saw in Knitter's (not the current issue but the one before). I can't find the magazine at the moment but in the magazine it's worn with jeans, white shirt and black leather jacket. I am going to knit it up in Jaeger Trinity. It's a beige color with a hint of pink. My other project is by Artful Yarns in Serenade the short sleeve hoodie. I am doing it in a blue and green mix yarn. Oh it's so soft! I had forgotten! I'm anxious to start on that next! Well, that's my knitting in progress that I care to mention tonight. If I kept on with the other stuff . . . well, I'd sound like the rest of y'all! But what great company I'm in! I think I found some local friends to start a knitting group. I hope so, I'm rather new to my area and haven't made local friends. My knitting in various school places (mainly carpool line) started conversations and they are waiting for me to get a group going. I'm actually getting ready to teach someone to knit! Wish me luck!

3 Comments:

Blogger Lolly said...

Sounds like you have some lovely yarns! Who doesn't like to work with luscious stuff? I would not really consider myself a yarn snob because I don't mind acrylics and blends, but given the choice, I would go with a yummy mohair or wool anyday!

5:49 AM  
Blogger Sneaksleep said...

I think the only true yarn snobs are those who speak disparagingly of cheap yarn and act condescending toward those who use it. Just because I prefer more luxurious yarn doesn't mean that I won't touch the affordable stuff! In fact, a lot of the time, it's all I can use...

8:57 AM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

At home I think I'm more sensible much to the dismay of my LYS owner. But when I go on vacation I buy one or two skeins of what appeals to me by eye. I tend to not know what a lot of the content is or what I will do with it. It sits in my yarn bins until I can be creative with it - or make ANOTHER shawl. I've been knitting for about 2 years and alot of this is new to me but I'm learning!

9:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home